A Melbourne surgeon is at the centre of a disturbing criminal investigation, accused of secretly filming hundreds of hospital staff members in toilets and showers across multiple medical facilities.
Shocking allegations and arrest
Ryan Cho, 28, faced the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday after being re-arrested over the discovery of approximately 4500 intimate videos and images found on a hard drive seized from his possession. Police allege the material was organised into folders linked to major hospitals, including the Austin Hospital, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, and the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
Cho was initially arrested on July 10, following the discovery of a mobile phone hidden in a staff bathroom at the Austin Hospital. He was charged with stalking and using an optical surveillance device, and later released on bail.
Second arrest and fresh charges
Upon further investigation, police uncovered over 10,000 files, with at least 460 potential victims identified so far. The shocking volume and level of organisation led to Cho’s re-arrest on five new charges: three counts of producing intimate images, one count of using a surveillance device, and one of failing to comply with police directions.
Police say the folders were named to reflect hospital names and time periods, with video evidence dating from 2021 to 2025. One additional folder, titled “Other,” appeared to contain footage from a residential setting.
Calculated behaviour, flight risk
Senior Constable Neral Baykur, giving evidence, described Cho’s alleged actions as “calculated and obsessive,” requiring significant time and planning. She said hospital staff were now afraid to use bathrooms, and she strongly opposed bail, arguing Cho was a flight risk, held limited community ties as a Singaporean national, and might interfere with witnesses.
She also noted that further charges were likely as more alleged victims are identified.
Defence arguments and bail refusal
Cho’s lawyer, George Balot, applied for bail, saying Cho’s parents had flown to Australia, offered a $10,000 guarantee, and were willing to supervise him strictly. He said Cho had begun therapy with both a psychologist and a sexologist, and enrolled in a program for alleged sex offenders beginning in August.
Despite this, Magistrate James Henderson denied bail, citing the seriousness of the allegations, the volume of evidence, and the risk to public safety. He noted that the files appeared to include “intimate depictions of people toileting and showering without their knowledge.”
Wider investigation underway
Victoria Police have launched a broader investigation, with several hospitals from 2020 to 2025 now flagged as “workplaces of interest.” Authorities are contacting institutions where Cho was employed during this period to determine if further victims exist.
Cho remains in custody and is expected to return to court in November 2025.