Dark
Light

Matildas to follow in Socceroos footsteps ahead of World Cup

21 March, 2019

Coach Ante Milicic will take his side to the same training base used by the Socceroos in the lead-up to Russia 2018, utilising the hot-weather resort’s elite training and recovery facilities.

The decision is a win for gender equality, given the princely sum required to stay and play at the Gloria Serenity Resort in Belek, just east of Antalya.

It’s also something of a reversal from FFA and Milicic, who had floated using a training base in Croatia and Spain for the pre-tournament camp.
He said “the distance to the World Cup is too far (and) we’ve got more chance of getting games in central Europe” when effectively ruling out the Turkey base.

But FFA have opted to go with the base they know, also utilised by Graham Arnold last year in his first camp as Socceroos coach.

“From pristine training pitches to the absolute latest in sports science facilities, our base will provide our players with an unrivalled opportunity to prepare in the lead up to our Group C games,” Milicic said.

“Antalya will be the perfect destination for our team to prepare for the forthcoming FIFA Women’s World Cup.”

As the Matildas are leaving Turkey on May 29 before their June 9 World Cup opener with Italy, it appears extremely likely they will relocate to Europe for much-needed match practice.

National teams boss Luke Casserly said FFA knew what it was getting with the Antalya camp and he believed it would be huge beneficial for the Matildas.

“The familiarity that many of our staff now have with the destination will help to make the camp both smooth and successful for the team,” he said.

Dark
Light

Latest News

Photos of the 200 executed in Kaisariani made public – Appeared in eBay auction

For the first time, 82 years after the mass execution

Jeff Kennett urges Victorian Coalition to consider One Nation preference deal to remove Labor government

Former Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett has called on the Victorian

Alleged crime figures behind $245m plan for 1000-home Muslim enclave in Melbourne’s north

Thousands of pages of court documents, financial records and interviews