Dark
Light

Olympic flame handover ceremony in Athens, to be closed

18 March, 2020

The Olympic flame hand-over ceremony for the Tokyo Games will take place without spectators, in an effort to contain the coronavirus outbreak, said the Greek Olympic committee.

The Committee said the accreditation cards that had been issued for Thursday’s ceremony at the stadium in Athens where the first modern Olympics were held in 1896 would not be valid. The body’s headquarters will also remain closed from Monday until further notice.
The committee canceled the remainder of the Olympic torch relay last week after crowds gathered in southern Greece to watch part of the torch relay in Sparta, where the torch was carried by actor Gerard Butler.
Greek health authorities have warned people to stay home, and have shut down everything from restaurants, bars and cafes to public organized beaches, ski resorts, hair salons and movie theaters, in an effort to curb the spread of the virus.

Dark
Light

Latest News

The EU judiciary isinvalidating elections andimprisoning the opposition

The EU judiciary is invalidating elections and imprisoning the opposition

It began in Romania, where the failed and corrupt bureaucrats
The Federation of Greek Elderly Citizens Clubs in a whirlwind

The Federation of Greek Elderly Citizens Clubs in a whirlwind: Complaints, controversies and an uncertain future

Unfortunately, our community is shaken by an ongoing case between

Albanese’s tariff trouble: A test of leadership amid Trump’s trade war

As the federal election kicks off, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese