Dark
Light

Biolanta factory owner remanded in custody

19 February, 2026

The owner of the “Biolanta” factory in Trikala, Konstantinos Tziortziotis, has been remanded in custody following his lengthy testimony before an investigating magistrate over the deadly explosion that claimed the lives of five female workers on January 26.

Tziortziotis reportedly spent nearly five hours giving evidence. According to judicial sources, he was shown video footage and photographs from the site. He is said to have told the magistrate that he was “shocked” by the scale of the blast and insisted he had not been aware of any such danger at the facility. He allegedly stated that his own children used to play in the area, underscoring his claim that he did not perceive the premises as hazardous.

Earlier, a friend of the factory owner who had spoken publicly said Tziortziotis had “no idea” what had occurred and had given his associates full authority to carry out all necessary studies and works related to the plant’s operation.

However, the findings of the Hellenic Fire Service’s Arson Crimes Directorate (DAEE) paint a troubling picture of serious safety lapses at the factory.

According to the official report, at the time of the explosion the storage tanks were not equipped with any active water sprinkler system. A photograph from 2024 shows that a sprinkler system had previously existed above the tanks, but investigators have not yet determined when or why it was removed.

Inspectors also identified a solenoid valve located on the gas piping network as it emerged from the ground outside Building 2. The valve was disconnected, with a cable hanging loose. The purpose of such a valve is to automatically cut off gas supply if detectors identify a leak. Given that it was disconnected, investigators concluded that it would have been impossible for the gas flow to be automatically stopped in the event of a leak.

The report further notes that, based on seized documents, there appears to be no valid building permit for the basement area where the flammable gas accumulated, ultimately triggering the explosion.

The on-site forensic inspection began at 9:30am on February 5, 2026, and concluded at 8:00am on February 12. Experts documented perforations in the gas supply network and confirmed that intermittent gas odours had been detected in Building 2 of the B wing before Christmas — possibly even months earlier. Despite employee warnings, no responsible party appears to have ordered a proper inspection or repair. Workers were reportedly reassured that the smell was not liquefied petroleum gas.

The case has intensified scrutiny over industrial safety compliance and managerial accountability, as the investigation continues into one of the deadliest workplace incidents in recent years.

Dark
Light

Latest News

Dating Apps aren’t designed for love they’re built for engagement

Dating apps like to present themselves as modern matchmakers, promising

Beyond the language: Greek dance uniting a new generation of the diaspora

The Hellenic Dancers of Hobart are preparing to return to

US bolsters forces in the Middle East amid rising tensions with Iran

The United States has significantly reinforced its military presence in